The Integrated Research on Disaster Risk (IRDR) 2011 Conference was held from 31 October to 2 November 2011, at the Beijing International Convention Center (BICC). Organized by the IRDR International Programme Office and the China Association for Science and Technology (CAST), the IRDR Conference 2011 gathered together over 300 experts, political figures, and other stakeholders from some 40 countries and regions.
The conference, themed “Disaster Risk: Integrating Science and Practice”, aimed to advance new comprehensive approaches to natural hazards research and disaster risk reduction that investigated the root causes of disasters and incorporated input from scientists, decision-makers, and the public. Sessions revolved around three main topics: characterization of hazards, vulnerability and risk; understanding decision-making in complex and changing risk contexts; and reducing risk and curbing losses through knowledge-based actions.
Attendees included International Council for Science (ICSU) President and Nobel Laureate Yuan Tseh Lee, UNESCO Special Envoy for Haiti and Former Governor General of Canada Michaëlle Jean, as well as state officials from around the world.
For more information, check the links below:
IRDR Conference 2011 Summary of Conference Outcomes, Moving Forward
IRDR Conference 2011 Abstract Book
- IRDR to Hold a Major Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction
- Top Scientists, Nobel Laureates Open Disaster Research Conference in Beijing
- Former Governor General of Canada Addresses Delegates at Disaster Conference
- Disaster Research Conference Concludes in Beijing Declaration
- The 2011 Beijing Declaration on Integrated Research on Disaster Risk